[ISSUE] Diablo 1 - black screen in menu
|starseed-pl||Monday 26 November 2018 at 21:21|
I had Diablo 1 running first with Windows NT4 and then reinstalled with Win xp. I installed corefonts and directx9 and didnt use the direct x installer with the CD.
The game would launch and I got passed the blizzard title, but the menu is black and I can here the music. I can here my selection moving around but I cant play.
I found some help here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3498 but all that happened was I caused it to crash after the first blizzard title.
I downloaded a dll from here: https://gitlab.com/yegortimoshenko/wined3d.dll/tree/master
and ran this in a shell in my Diablo drive:
wine REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Wine\\AppDefaults\\Diablo.exe\\Direct3D /V DirectDrawRenderer /T REG_SZ /D gdi
Now I cant even get passed the Blizzard title screen.
If I uninstall the drive and go back to using Wine 2.20 with only corefonts and dx3d9 I can get back to getting as far as the black title screen. Is there an easy workaround to get in the game? I dont understand how to configure that dll from gitlab. This is more confusing than all the other games I have tried, wow
Here is my debug log:
* usury kills *
|Quentin PÂRIS||Monday 26 November 2018 at 21:22|
Same problem than here :)
|starseed-pl||Monday 26 November 2018 at 22:33|
edit: I got it to work with some slight issues in the menu.
I cloned my fallout 2 drive (which I'm sorry people I dont remember what I installed but I have the debug posted in the link you gave)
Then deleted the fallout folder in the copied drives' directory and made a new folder called diablo.
Then I installed diablo with wine 3.18 in that cloned WinXP drive. This already had all the libraries I used for Fallout 2. (IDK)
Then I downloaded this dll: https://gitlab.com/yegortimoshenko/wined3d.dll/tree/master and copied the 3.18 version of it into the diablo install directory.
I did not run the REG ADD HKEY command at all. Instead I simply added the dll and then went to the display tab in POL config window and set the Direct Draw Renderer to gdi.
After that I rebooted windows and then launched the game.
It worked with a strange bug in the menu but I am able to select a character if I move the mouse curser around while selecting things. Once the game starts it runs exactly like I remember. Cut scenes work and audio is great.
Thank you for that link and I hope I helped someone else even though I dont know exactly how I installed Fallout 2. TheTruth is that I had a dream about doing it sunday night and I woke up early to give it a try Monday while I was half asleep (and getting ready to get my daughters to school) so by the time I got home IDK how or what I did, but Fallout works so I succeeded. Hopefully in future I will provide a video on it or something. I dont use the scripts or install buttons since my distro has an error with freetype fonts (it doesnt render WINE gecko / mono installer windows properly with older wine versions)
Edited by starseed-pl
* usury kills *