Release of PlayOnLinux 5.0 alpha 1
Zondag 23 September 2018 om 21:48
I'm aware that it has been a while since the last time we gave news to you. Be reassured, the project is moving on and here we are to give you some news.
Today, I am very proud to announce that we have managed to release the alpha version of PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac 5 (aka Phoenicis). I would like to give my special thanks to those who have continued the work I started few years ago: @plata and @madoar, and many others.
You can download the binaries here: https://repository.playonlinux.com/PlayOnLinux/5.0.0-alpha1
So, what's new?
In one word: everything. First, the interface has been completely redesigned:
Phoenicis is a completely rewritten piece of software that aims to bring you all the features of PlayOnLinux 3 and 4 (a.k.a Arietis) with new principles:
- The platform is decentralized, meaning that the program will continue working if our website encounters problems. We have chosen to store the scripts on a git repository (https://github.com/PhoenicisOrg/scripts) so that it becomes more respectful of open source principles.
This alpha version respects theses principles and supports about 135 games and many other apps. You can see the whole list here: https://www.phoenicis.org/apps
We need to go further and find a way to gather your feedback. This is the reason why we are releasing an alpha-test version of Phoencis.
- If you encounter any issue or want to share an idea to improve the app, you can use our GitHub page: https://github.com/PhoenicisOrg/phoenicis/issues
- If you want to improve Phoencis, feel free to fork the repository and send your pull requet
- If you want to add / update a script, you can check this repository: https://github.com/PhoenicisOrg/scripts. If you need, you can even create your own script repository.
- If you want to help us translate Phoencis, we are using crowdin: https://crowdin.com/project/phoenicis
The project is far from being finished. Our next steps are to develop a strong Wine build platform using modern virtualization and/or containerization solutions. Then, we will make a new website (hosted at: http://www.phoenicis.org) so that we can continue giving you the best support we can.
Feel free to send feedbacks and see you soon