In fact I can install the component "dotnet40" in WIndows XP, but in Windows 7, the installation turn it back to Windows XP. I'm not sure if the game can run with .net Framework 3.5 or other version but the game installation just ask me to install the 4.0 version.
- Create a new virtual machine with wine 1.5.26
- Check "Wine uninstaller" for the installed programs: Wine Gecko (32-bit) v1.9, Wine Mono v0.0.8
- Go "Configure Wine" and set "Windows Version" to "Windows 7"
- Use "Windows reboot"
- Go "Install components" and install dotnet40.
- An dialog is poped out and said PlayOnMac has encountered an error. The text box shows "Error in POL_Wine. Wine seems to have crashed"
- Press "Next" of the dialog and the installation will go on. The dialog then show "Please with while .NET Framework 4.0 is being installed". The dialog then close itself
- Check "Wine uninstaller" for the installed programs: Wine Mono is gone. Wine Gecko is still there. 2 more programs are installed: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile v4.0.30319, Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended v4.0.30319
- Check "Configure Wine", the windows version is changed back to Windows XP.
I've tried to switch it back to Windows 7 to see if that works, but I'm not sure now as I don't install MTGO successfully, and I don't know if that is related to .net Framework. Here is the error message from MTGO installation:
Unhandled exception: unimplemented function dwmapi.dll.DwmAttachMilContent called in 32-bit code (0x7b82e528).
I've also tried to install the game in Windows XP but it then ask me to install "Hotfix for WIndows XP (KB9433276)" and it fail to install that, with an error dialog "Path not found". It seems to be another error. MTGO installation can go on after the failure of that hotfix installation, but it then fail with this error report:
Unhandled exception: 0xe0434352 in 32-bit code (0x7b82e528).