|nPrime||Wednesday 17 July 2019 at 16:32|
Sync.com is a Dropbox alternative that uses end-to-end encryption (so employees at Sync are not able to see your data, as it is encrypted before leaving your device).
Limitations and workarounds:
Running openSUSE Tumbleweed
Use 32-bit WINE version 4.4
I tried with WINE version 4.12.1 and it installed successfully but when I quit the program, it crashed when I tried to restart it afterwards. A workaround was to simulate a Windows reboot in WINE and then start the program again. Version 4.4 doesn't have that issue. I didn't test any versions other than 4.4 and 4.12.1 (I picked 4.12.1 because it's the latest at the time of this writing and 4.4 because someone on WineHQ mentioned using 4.4 successfully).
Comments on install:
The first time you run it, it will index existing content and then tell you (on the menu if you click the icon) that you need to authorize the device. There will probably be an option on the menu to go to the website to do this. Select the option and it will take you to the web portal to log in.
If you install the Sync client more than once (testing different WINE versions) and log in on the installer, it will create an authorization entry each time on the website (that you won't see unless you log in and go to the page - click your account name at the upper right > Settings > Devices tab), each with a green authorize button.
Each of those entries is linked with the install that generated it, so if you click "authorize" for one from a previous (now deleted) install, it won't authorize your current install - you need to click authorize on the proper line (or the authorize button from the pop-up). This is probably the last "Desktop" entry on the list (unclear since it only shows the date added and not the time).
You could authorize all entries and this would work, if you don't mind having a bunch of "dud" entries on your list. If you accidentally delete the authorization for your current install, your sync will go offline, as it is no longer authorized. To fix this, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the list, click "Show Deleted" and restore the entry. This can be tricky if you've deleted multiple entries which have the same name (I'd guess it to be the lowest deleted entry on the list, assuming it is listed in chronological order). I haven't found a way to get the sync client to generate a new authorization request.
Ändrat av nPrime