Monday 20 April 2015 at 22:37
Hi all, we are proud to announce the 4.2.7 release of PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac!
Among the visible changes, first a regression fix: "Install non-listed applications" should now be visible all the time, even while the list of install scripts is being updated:
During installations, a small (i) information icon was already showing up at the bottom of the wizard window for scripts that use POL_SetupWindow_SetID; Clicking on it would lead users to the script page on the web site. For scripts that support the embedded debugger (scripts that use POL_Debug_Init), there will now also be a second icon next to it to open the debugger window to show the installation log:
PlayOnLinux would display important informations at the beginning of the first installation, but not show them again so you don't have to click thru them with each installation. It will now display those informations until you click "Don't remember me" (after actually reading the messages of course!). This feature is also available for your own install scripts, as the new statement POL_SetupWindow_notice:
The Wine versions manager display has been changed to display a small lock (and bold text) for versions currently in use by some virtual drives, so you can more easily remove the versions that are no longer used:
Beside that, this version also contains its share of bugfixes and code cleanups, so here's the full changelog:
* Detect and abort scripts when trying to run 64bit programs with 32bit Wine
* POL_DetectVideoCards: list VGA compatible controllers and 3D controllers (#5012)
* Add support for several other value types than REG_SZ to registry
updating statements (#5013)
* POL_Wine_SelectPrefix: abort if no prefix name is provided
* Sort install scripts lists case insensitively (iTunes)
* Fix "hash-bang" line in shortcuts so they're actually executable
* Deprecate the usage of $REPERTOIRE in PlayOnLinux own code
* Translate remaining french comments and identifiers in Bash code
* Improve POL_Wine_PrefixDelete to remove ancillary resources (shortcuts, icons,...)
* Wine versions manager: attributes tell apart used versions instead of
unused versions; Add an extra warning when about to remove a version in use
* Avoid Python detection loops
* Display wx version found
* Fix Settings > Internet menu (#4989, thanks to rupert)
* Workaround for Wine bug #37575 (#5023)
* Improve find_binary function and make it public as POL_System_find_file
* Add support for .lnk, .bat and .cmd files to POL_Shortcut and POL_SetupWindow_shortcut_creator
* Added an icon to open the debugger from the installation wizard when
POL_Debug_Init has been called (#4948)
* Implement POL_SetupWindow_notice to display important messages, but
allow the user to acknowledge them once and for all ("Don't remind me") (#2036)
* POL_OpenShell (Configure > Misc > Open a shell) bug fixes
* Add a warning when OpenGL autotests are missing (user support)
* Make sure "Install non-listed application" link is always visible in
* POL_SetupWindow_cdrom: don't suggest "*" when no CDROM has been found
* Remove use of remaining os.system() calls (less overhead, less quoting nightmare)
* Use os.kill() instead of shell command
* Use of "exec" to avoid some useless extra Bash processes
* polconfigurator interface cleanup (no risk of translation breakage)
Monday 23 March 2015 at 17:23
We now have Wine-Staging WineBuilds in our repository, available to use through PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac. We have been working extensively with a few members of the Wine-Staging team over the last couple of weeks to help make this possible.
Please, feel free to test out these new versions from the Manage Wine Versions menu in POL/POM, and please report issues that you have with the builds to our team. They have a suffix of "-staging" in the names of the Wine versions ("1.7.39-staging", etc.).
Tuesday 3 March 2015 at 1:58
So, our wiki has now been fully deployed, and is even integrated into our navigation menu. The Documentation link has been replaced with Wiki, as well as having it now direct you to the official wiki. There is far, far more information available than every before, and new info being added all of the time.
We encourage every user to stop by and take a look at the docs again, and check back frequently. We will be adding new tips, tricks, guides, and more as much as we can. Enjoy!
Friday 27 February 2015 at 22:15
Hello, Linux and Mac community! We are proud to announce the release of the newest version of PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac. It can be downloaded here:
Thanks to everyone who submitted bugs and posted in the forums to help make each release better than the last.
The changelog for this 4.2.6 can be found below:
- Use $ POL_TERM more Consistently, allow POL_TERM global configuration override. Beware, the carrier must terminal -T and -e options, so gnome-terminal Does not Qualify (gnome-terminal.wrapper Does though)
- Add a function to compute a hash of a POL_Wine_VersionSignature Wine Package
- Python version string extraction hardening (# 4895)
- POL_System_PartInfo APPROBATION thru mount filesystems point INSTEAD of device (Btrfs subvolumes compatibility)
- Modify bash / document_reader to pass extra arguments Unchanged ( https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-12519-Pass_arguments_to_PDFXChange_Viewer.html )
- Remove "skipped lines" messages When The debugger gets the focus back
- POL_Shortcut: do not overwrite $ binary logging to Improve
- mainwindow: make boxen alert child of the main window So They can not get lost behind --other windows
- Prevent POL_Download_Resource clobbering $ APP_ANSWER
- Critical error: wget throwing SSL error when Install Components uses wget (bug 5002)
We have also started an official Wiki page that is going to be filled to the brim with Information regarding POL/POM, Wine, scripting, and more. As of now, all current documentation has been moved to the new wiki. It is located here:
Be sure to check back there often, as there will we new info added as often as we can.
Friday 23 January 2015 at 23:41
The installer for SimCity 4 Deluxe has been updated to use the newest version of Wine, as well as having added Steam support for newer purchasers of this fantastic, old-school game.
Friday 9 January 2015 at 23:09
An update to the Adobe Photoshop CS6 installer has just come out that fixes the missing fonts on certain systems. If you were experiencing this issue, then you will want to delete your virtual drive for PS, and reinstall using the official installer.
Let us know if there are further issues. Enjoy!
Check it out here:
Thursday 8 January 2015 at 20:36
An installer for vcrun2013 has been uploaded and is now ready to be tested on PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac!
You can install it via the Install Components tab in the POL/POM Configure window
Check it out here:
Wednesday 7 January 2015 at 22:44
Last night a vcrun2012 component installer was uploaded and in testing. Please feel free to check it out, and let us know how it works.
You can install it via the Install Components tab in the POL/POM Configure window.
Check it out here:
Saturday 25 October 2014 at 18:21
We are now testing a script written by a team member for Adobe Photoshop CS6. So far, it has been tested as working on proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers, but Intel chipsets seem not to work. Other than that, it seems to be running at right around native speeds. Online activation looks to be working correctly on tested systems, as well. Enjoy!
Check it out here:
Monday 8 September 2014 at 13:36
The version 4.2.5 of PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac are now available! Here are the main new features:
- Support for wxpython 3.0
- Compatibility with debian 8.0
- Compatibility with next version of Mac OS (10.10 Yosemite, tested on DP7)
- Mac OS: the bundled wine version is now 1.7.26, and uses winemac drv (far less XQuartz depencies)
- Mention URL in POL_Download and POL_Download_Resource error messages (should help with user support)
- Add POL_Config_Win16 to check if the host can run win16 programs, see http://linux-kernel.2935.n7.nabble.com/tip-x86-urgent-x86-64-modify-ldt-Ban-16-bit-segments-on-64-bit-kernels-td838675i120.html
- Various bug fixes
Have a nice day!